One of the most commonly-performed dental procedures is the dental crow, but many patients don’t understand them. When teeth are badly damaged, infected, broken, or misshapen, dental crowns are often used to repair them. Dental crowns are effective for both restorative and cosmetic reasons.
Dr. Nicholas F. Gardner is a Gouverneur, NY dentist offering same-day dental crowns using CEREC technology to repair damage to teeth.
How Do Dental Crowns Work?
Crowns are protective caps that fit over a damaged tooth to protect the sensitive tissues inside. Once the damaged tissue is removed, the crown is cemented on top. This preserves as much of the natural tooth structure as possible, eliminating the need for tooth extraction.
Dental crowns are constructed of durable materials such as porcelain, resin, or a composite material that is strong enough to endure the trauma of chewing. After a crown is cemented to the top of the tooth, it becomes a permanent part of the tooth.
When Are Dental Crowns Used?
Dental crowns are used for a variety of reasons. Dentists prefer to retain as much of the natural tooth structure as possible. Some examples of when crowns are used include:
- Final step in dental implant treatment
- Misshapen tooth
- Damaged or decayed tooth
- After a root canal
Same-Day Dental Crowns in Gouverneur, NY
Dental crowns are made from impressions of each patient’s teeth and are designed to fit their specific teeth. Dr. Gardner offers same-day dental crowns using CEREC technology, which uses digital pictures of your mouth and a special machine to create the crown.
This technology offers several key benefits:
- Digital impressions provide more accurate treatment planning and less discomfort than traditional methods
- 3-D imagery creates multi-dimensional images of the mouth, allowing the dentist to design the restoration with precision and predictability
- CEREC creates high-quality porcelain and zirconia dental crowns for a durable, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing results
- Restorations can be done in a single office visit, eliminating the need for uncomfortable temporary crowns or multiple office visits
Schedule a Consultation
You don’t have to live with discomfort from a damaged tooth. Dental crowns, when created with CEREC, offer you a more comfortable and healthy smile in just one office visit. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Gardner’s Gouverneur, NY office online or call us at (315) 203-1772 today.