Gouverneur, New York dentist, Dr. Nicholas Gardner offer personalized solutions for patients dealing with the various stages of gum disease. Dr. Gardners is a trusted, experienced dentist who is dedicated to improving the health of each patient’s smile.
Periodontal disease, commonly referred to as gum disease, is a progressive oral health concern that comprises the gum tissue and surrounding bone structure. Gum disease is an infection of the gum tissue that is commonly caused by the bacteria in plaque. If left untreated, the inflammation and irritation can break down the gum tissue and bone structure, leading to gum recession or possibly tooth loss.
Recent studies have suggested that gum disease is linked to systemic health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, and arthritis. Most dentist recommends that patients practice healthy oral hygiene habits and visit the dentist regularly to minimize their chance of developing gum disease. Gum disease is a preventable oral health concern. Patients should consider these key factors to help keep their teeth and gums healthy.
Gum Disease Prevention Tip
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing the teeth help remove harmful bacteria and plaque from the teeth. Ideally, patients should burhs their teeth after each meal to eliminate food particles and debris from sticking to the teeth.
- Incorporate flossing into your daily oral hygiene routine. Flossing helps remove debris and plaque that brushing alone cannot reach. Flossing can also improve the breath.
- Rinse with mouthwash. Mouthwash helps remove plaque build-up and debris that flossing and brushing may have missed.
- Know your risk, if you are at high risk for developing gum disease you may want to work with Dr. Gardner to create a plan to lower your risk. Together, you and Dr. Gardner can assess your risk and find ways to improve your oral health.
- Visit your dentist. It is recommended that every six months patients receive a full comprehensive exam. During your comprehensive exam, Dr. Gardner can screen for gum disease and other complex dental problems. Discovering early signs of gum disease can allow our team to create a conservative treatment plan to improve your gum health.
Schedule An Appointment
Dr. Gardner offers a full range of preventive dental care services, periodontal therapy services, and restorative dentistry solution for patients dealing with various stages of gum disease. If you would like to learn more, call(315) 203-1772 or schedule an appointment online.