Do you avoid smiling in social situations? Does bad breath make you have to cover your mouth around other people? There can be many causes of bad breath, just as there are solutions. Dr. Nicholas Gardner is a dentist in Canton, NY, that helps his patients meet their goals. If you have halitosis or bad breath, he can help provide dental care that can decrease symptoms and promote fresher breath. Many patients find that regular dental care and professional treatment can keep their breath fresher for longer.
What Causes Bad Breath?
There are a wide variety of reasons why you could have bad breath:
- Foods: Some foods are smellier than others. Eating foods that contain garlic, onions, and other stinky ingredients can temporarily cause bad breath. Drinking water and brushing your teeth can typically get rid of transient bad breath.
- Tobacco: Vaping, smoking cigarettes, and using other tobacco products can create bad breath. The nicotine contained in these products can also lead to dry mouth.
- Poor Oral Health: If you don’t brush or floss regularly, food debris can collect on and between the teeth, creating foul odors.
- Dry Mouth: When the salivary glands do not produce enough saliva, patients can develop dry mouth. Additionally, if there is not enough saliva in the mouth, harmful bacteria can build up in this dry environment, affecting the teeth and gums and causing bad odors.
- Gum Disease and Tooth Decay: Harmful bacteria feed on food debris left in the mouth. This food debris can create bad breath, and the harmful bacteria that lead to decayed teeth or gum tissue can also lead to halitosis.
- Medical Conditions: Patients with certain medical conditions like diabetes are more prone to developing dry mouth or gum disease. These conditions can impact their teeth, gums, and breath.
How to Treat Bad Breath
Whether you have transient or chronic bad breath, there are some things you can do to lessen symptoms of bad breath and get a fresher smile:
- Hydrate: Drinking enough water can help produce saliva and stave off dry mouth. There are also artificial saliva products that can keep the mouth moist and prevent odors and bacterial buildup.
- Brush and Floss: If you brush and floss twice a day and brush for at least two minutes twice a day, you may notice fresher breath. A good tip to follow is to remember to brush the tongue, as bacteria can collect there.
- Visit the Doctor: Treating medical conditions can also treat symptoms like bad breath or halitosis. If you suspect that your medical problem is linked to bad breath, contact your doctor for treatment.
- Visit the Dentist: We offer routine dental care that includes thorough dental cleanings and examinations. Our dental hygienists can clean and remove food debris and bacteria from the mouth that create bad odors.
Are you looking for a new dentist in Canton, NY? Do you need to schedule a dental cleaning and examination? Call Dr. Gardner today at [new_patient_phone_span] or request your next dental appointment with Dr. Gardner online.